Board index Talking T Gauge Forum 3D Printing for T Gauge

Here's the place for discussions about those 3D creations for Tguage...and lets not forget the trials and tribulations of designing and printing.

Re: A new toy!!!

Postby dvdouden » Thu Jan 02, 2020 9:01 am

Did a test print last week to see how well it can print thin objects. Increased the exposure time per layer from 8 to 10 seconds and printed a bunch of poles, square pillars, walls and trusses, ranging from 1.0mm thickness to 0.1mm, most 10mm high.
torture.jpg
torture.jpg (133.5 KiB) Viewed 219 times

I messed up the print in multiple steps. First of all I pressed the pause button during the first layer, then pressed it again, but apparently the printer doesn't work that way. After the first layer (with 90 seconds exposure time) the bed went up and stayed there until I got back to the shed to fetch my prints after 50 minutes... This may have caused quite a few objects to not attach to the bed properly. :oops:

Secondly, I should've cleaned the prints better before curing them. They really need to be dry before you put them under UV, otherwise you end up with blobs of plastic in corners. Some compressed air should do the trick.
Anything smaller than 0.4mm ended up failing, results may improve by increasing the exposure time even further. But what worries me more is that UV exposure at the ends of the bed seems to be lacking, a lot...

Anyway, here's a couple of results.

Trusses are 1.0mm - 0.4mm from left to right, the 0.9mm one is the only piece that I've sanded a bit.
prints.jpg
prints.jpg (112.39 KiB) Viewed 219 times
My T-gauge stuff on github: https://github.com/dvdouden/tgauge
dvdouden

Previous

Return to 3D Printing for T Gauge