Creating full body decals

Post details of your rolling stock developments - locomotive, carriages, DMUs, etc.
mattd10

Creating full body decals

Post by mattd10 »

Hi Guys,

As you've probably seen in my other thread I've done some 3D design, but I want to combine this with full side decals. Does anyone have any software recommendations?

I spend about an hour creating a template on sketchup but taking apart a 3D model and rotating all the faces only to find I can't export it in a usable format (edit: realised you can specify the export image size so by upping that the resolution is massively improved)

Any tips and suggestions much appreciated!

JBModels

Re: Creating full body decals

Post by JBModels »

Since T gauge is very small, I wouldn't go to an extreme length of realism. I would just use MS Paint and ask the printer of the decal (usually an external source) to re-size it.

And as you said, it can be done on SketchUp, just need to paint the sides and take a screenshot then re-size it.

Cheers!
JBModels
LOL! Some people need a to think logically, or rather just have common sense!

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

It needs to be more detailed than paint can handle. Mainly consistent door/window sizes and identical spacing so paint is a bit too basic.

Finding a piece of design software capable of the accuracy I want isnt easy! Will probably draw up at 10 or 100 times the size and reduce it for printing.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

You're right Matt. Paint is very basic....and for what we need is totally unsuitable.

I use a old version of Paint Shop Pro that I got bundled with a piece of hardware (either a printer or scanner...can't remember which!) around 15 years ago. Despite its age, it still works flawlessly on Windows7...and it has oodles of featutes and is easy to use. I've been using it for manipulating all the sattelite images on The Bridge and am currently creating the road layouts with it.

For what Matt wants to do it's ideal. Create a fairly large image at a low resolution, design in all the detail needed, then up the resolution for printing. You can even use layers to either build up the image or to give masks or layout guides that can be excluded from the print or export.
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

mattd10

Post by mattd10 »

Ideally for T gauge I would like accuracy to 0.1mm to get a realistic looking decal. That way the decal accuracy should make up for the lack of detail on the model.

I'm intending on doing everything with a home printer so will not get the professional finish that may be available elsewhere, but I'm only doing them for personal use so don't see the point in spending unnecessary amounts on an external company to do it.

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Have you tried Railtec? Their prices are great and they are very helpful.

Cheers.

dkightley

Post by dkightley »

Ideally for T gauge I would like accuracy to 0.1mm to get a realistic looking decal.
That level of resolution is easy to achieve...

Start off with your printer resolution. My Canon will do colour at a maximum resolution of 9600 x 2400 dpi, so it's futile designing anything for printing at a resolution greater than 2400 dpi....which in metric is 94.4 pixels per mm. So a 5000 x 5000 image at 2400 dpi will give plenty of scope for getting fine detail.
Have you tried Railtec? Their prices are great and they are very helpful.
Why on earth pay someone else to do something that is well within the capability of being done at home?? This is a hobby after all!
Doug Kightley
Webmaster here and volunteer at the National Tramway Museum http://www.tramway.co.uk

JBModels

Post by JBModels »

Just a suggestion since Mattd10 said he wanted some high quality ones. He mentioned the burden of paying too much, I just suggested trying Railtec who are at the forefront of decal making and have the cheapest prices around. At the end of the day it's down to the printer.

I don't see any harm in making suggestions. So no need to get picky.

Cheers!
JBModels